Herbalist Sunny Mavor, owner of Herbs for Kids, a manufacturer of herbal extracts, has a favorite recipe for treating colds and flus. She says this tea opens bronchial passages, helps fight viruses, and reduces watery secretions from the eyes and nose.
- 2 tablespoons dried echinacea root
- 1 teaspoon dried eyebright leaf and flowers
- ½ teaspoon dried boneset leaf and flowers
- 1 teaspoon dried lemongrass
- 1 teaspoon dried lemon balm leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried peppermint leaves
- In a covered saucepan, gently simmer the echinacea root in 4 cups of pure water to create a decoction. Keep an eye on your pot; you want to reduce the tea down to approximately 3 cups.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, add the remaining herbs, and cover and steep for 5 to 10 minutes. Strain into mugs.
Linda B. White, M.D., is a freelance editor and writer with a focus on herbal healing.
Click here for the original article,
Best Herbs for the Common Cold.