Wildflower torte gets its flavor from wild herbs including sorrel, dandelion, and yarrow. It can be garnished with salad burnet and borage flowers.
SERVES 6 to 8
• 1 heaping tablespoon of young, tender leaves of sorrel, dandelion, and yarrow, finely chopped
• 1/2 onion, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 6 eggs
• 3 cups heavy cream
• pinch nutmeg
• unbaked pie crust
1.Combine the herbs and onion and sauté with olive oil, salt, and pepper until onions become translucent.
2. In a bowl, beat together the eggs, cream, and nutmeg until just frothy.
3. Place unbaked pie crust in a greased quiche pan. Spread the herb mixture on the bottom and pour in the egg mixture. Bake at 350° F for about 30 minutes.
Read the original article: Cooking with Herbs in Germany.
Sibylle Hechtel writes from Estes Park, Colorado. Her latest articles appear in Red Herring and New Scientist.