Several ways exist to start greening your beer selection. Here are some tips to get started:
1. Ask for a local brew. Most are shipped locally, which saves on fuel and transport emissions. You can find a local brewery at www.BrewPubZone.com.
2. Go for pints over bottles. You’re essentially saving on packaging, because draft beer is usually served in glasses. One keg serves about 124 pints, and the kegs can be refilled by the distributor.
3. Choose organic. Ask for an organic brew (Anheuser-Busch now makes two organic varieties). The ingredients are healthier and grown without toxic pesticides and fertilizers. If organic isn’t available, ask to see if your bar of choice can get some.
More about organic beer and wine
• Kick back and relax with one of these organic beers.
• Celebrate Oktoberfest in the spirit of a cleaner environment. Go organic!
• Beer not your thing? Check out Natural Home's guide to organic wine.