Makes about 3/4 cup
- 2 cups packed fresh mint leaves, washed
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, washed
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice, or to taste
- 2 small green chili peppers (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- Salt, to taste
1. Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
2. Remove to a bowl and adjust the seasoning according to taste. The chutney tastes best when fresh. Store it in a jar and refrigerate. It stays fresh for up to one week.
Variation: One small, raw mango (if in season) can be substituted for the lemon or lime juice. Peel the mango, discard the pit, and blend it with the other ingredients.
Click here for the main article, "A Sweet Taste of India."