Orange and Lemon Basil French Toast
Jodi Pritchard, Minneapolis, Minnesota
The lemon basil growing on my porch inspired me to develop this recipe. Anise hyssop, mint, or another lemony herb could be substituted.
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1 egg
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
• Juice of 1 orange
• A few scrapings of nutmeg
• Pinch of sugar (optional)
• 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
• 4 slices stale bread
• 1 tablespoon minced lemon basil leaves
• Maple syrup to taste
1. Whisk together the milk, egg, and vanilla. Add the orange juice, nutmeg, and sugar. 2. In a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. 3. Dip the bread slices into the milk mixture and sauté on both sides until golden. 4. Sprinkle with lemon basil and serve with warmed maple syrup.
Do you have a favorite previously unpublished recipe to share? Send it to “Kitchen Table”, c/o The Herb Companion, 201 East Fourth Street, Loveland, CO 80537-5655; fax (970) 669-6117; or e-mail HC@iwp.ccmail.compuserve.com. If we publish your recipe, you’ll receive a $50 check from The Herb Companion.