Homemade Ricotta Waffles and Roasted Pears with Lemon Verbena Syrup are a simple yet sensuous celebration of the season's bounty.
Photo By Renée Comet
Roasted Pears with Lemon Verbena Syrup
Serves 6 394 cal., 93g carbohydrates, 4g fat, 1g protein, 6g fiber
Practically a dessert, this dish combines the caramelized taste of seasonal pears with the fragrant flavors of lemon verbena. It combines perfectly with Homemade Ricotta Waffles.
6 firm Magness or Bosc pears
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
8 to 10 sprigs lemon verbena
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Wash and halve pears. Remove the core with a spoon, melon-ball cutter, or knife.
3. Melt butter in a 12- to14-inch skillet over low heat. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons sugar.
4. Arrange the pears (cut side down) on the sugar and cook over medium-high heat, without stirring, until the sugar begins to caramelize and turn brown. Tuck several lemon verbena leaves among the pears.
5. Place skillet in the oven and roast until the pears are tender but not mushy, about 15 to 30 minutes.
6. While pears are roasting, prepare sugar syrup. Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Add lemon verbena. Cover and let stand (the syrup can be made in advance and lasts in the refrigerator for a month). Remove lemon verbena leaves before serving.
7. Serve warm with Homemade Ricotta Waffles; spoon some syrup over the waffles and pears.
394 cal., 93g carbohydrates, 4g fat, 1g protein, 6g fiber