Makes 2 drinks
This drink is both tart and tangy, yet refreshing and cooling. Use peppermint (Mentha ¥piperita), or if you grow or can find it, Madalene Hill’s red-stemmed doublemint (Mentha ¥gracilis ‘Madalene Hill’).
- 2 limes
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 5 large peppermint sprigs
- 1¼ cups water
- About 2 cups crushed ice
- 3 ounces Mount Gay Special Reserve or other light rum
- 1 tablespoon clear Créme de Menthe
- 2 small mint sprigs
- Squeeze juice of 2 limes into a small pitcher and dissolve sugar into juice. Muddle mint sprigs in pitcher and add water. Adjust to taste with more lime juice or sugar, if necessary.
- Put ice into blender, add rum and Créme de Menthe, and strain in lime mixture, squeezing excess liquid from mint leaves. Blend until smooth and pour into two well-chilled party glasses. Garnish with mint sprigs and serve immediately.
Susan Belsinger is a frequent contributor who loves to sip herbal cocktails in her Maryland home.
Click here for the original article, Herbal Summer Cocktails.