Treat your guests to this tasty date cake made without refined sugars.
Photo by Fotolia/manyakotic
Date Cake Recipe
• 1/3 cup mashed bananas
• 1/2 cup butter, softened
• 3 large eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 1/4 cups water
• 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 1/2 cups chopped dates
• 1/3 cup chopped dates
• 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
• 1/3 cup flaked coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease and flour a 9- by 13- by 2-inch baking pan.
3. Mix together mashed bananas and butter until creamy. Add eggs, vanilla and water; beat. Add flour, baking soda, and baking powder; mix well. Stir in chopped dates.
4. Spoon batter into prepared baking pan. Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over batter. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serves 12
Click here for the main article, Make Holiday Desserts Without Refined Sugars.
Gina Mohammed, Ph.D., is a plant physiologist who researches medicinal and other specialty uses of plants. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or write to 1503 SW 42nd St., Topeka, KS 66609 for a detailed reference list.