Camille is a licensed aesthetician and operator of Autumn Moon Aesthetics. Her holistic skin care practice incorporates natural, handmade products, herbal therapy, aromatherapy and energetic bodywork. She encourages individuals to become more connected to their body and the Earth by creating natural products themselves at home. Visit her blog at www.skincareforyoursoul.blogspot.com.
As we head toward the end of February here in Michigan, winter has surely taken its toll on our skin. Thankfully, you can find some relief in your local supermarket with avocado.
Just one little avocado can give you what you need for healthy, glowing skin.
Photo courtesy Melinda Nagy
This unassuming little fruit, wrapped in its own bumpy green package, is packed with almost 20 vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients and healthy fats (essential fatty acids) that our bodies need. These “good fats” help to support the production of your skin’s natural oils and lessen inflammation in the body that can contribute to skin issues. According to the California Avocado Commission (CAC), avocados also boost the nutrient intake of other fat soluble foods that are eaten along with it.
Avocado oil, pressed from the vibrant yellow-green, pulpy part of the fruit, is highly regarded for its moisturizing and regenerating effects on the skin. It is wonderfully emollient, which makes it great for dull, dehydrated, itchy winter skin. The pit of the avocado even proves useful, when finely ground, as a gently effective exfoliant to remove dry, flaky skin.
Just one little avocado can give you what you need for glowing skin and a healthy body. Try these do-it-yourself recipes and see!
Avocado Facial Mask
• 1/2 ripe avocado (eat the other half for the nutritional benefits!)
• 1 teaspoon honey
1. Blend ingredients in a blender or food processer until smooth.
2. Apply to freshly cleansed face and leave on for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Remove with a warm, wet cloth and rinse completely with lukewarm water. Follow with your favorite toner and moisturizer. Before composting the avocado skin, rub the inside of it on the backs of your hand for a quick moisture boost!
Tropical Body Polish
• 1 avocado pit
• Juice of 1/2 lime
• 1/4 cup warmed coconut oil (found in the natural foods section of your local market)
1. After removing the avocado pit from the fruit, wash it gently and let it dry on your kitchen counter for about a week (it should be dry, but not shriveled).
2. Using a coffee grinder, grind the pit into a fine powder.
3. In a small bowl, blend the ground pit, lime juice and coconut oil.
4. Apply to dry skin using gentle circular motions. Take care not to scrub hard on sensitive areas, such as chest and breasts. Avoid using this scrub on the face or any skin that is irritated, sensitive or cracked, or on skin with cuts, rashes or abrasions.
5. Rinse the scrub off in the shower with warm (not hot) water, pat dry and follow with your favorite body lotion or crème. You’ll feel like you went on a tropical vacation without even leaving your bathroom!