Crisp, chopped cucumber salad and lemony carrot vinaigrette are the perfect complements to the buttery black cod. The dish is served on an Annieglass pedestal slab.
Photo By Batista Moon Studio
Black Cod with Shiso-Cucumber Salad and Carrot Vinaigrette
Shiso is an aromatic green leaf, available at gourmet stores or Asian markets, used to flavor Japanese dishes such as sushi and tempura. (You may substitute chopped mint or cilantro.) Seafood Watch recommends black cod, also known as sablefish, from Alaska or British Columbia, where the populations are abundant and the fisheries are well managed. Black cod contains moderate amounts of mercury, so eat this fish no more than twice a month.
2 pounds black cod fillet
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup carrot juice
2 tablespoons chopped shallots
1 teaspoon chopped ginger
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup mild vegetable oil, such as canola
3 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
1 teaspoon finely chopped serrano chile
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped shiso (or 2 tablespoons chopped mint or cilantro)
1 medium, thin-skinned cucumber, preferably seedless
2 shiso leaves, sliced in very thin strips (for garnish)
1. Cut cod in 6 pieces of equal weight and toss with soy sauce and sugar in a mixing bowl or resealable plastic bag. Allow fish to marinate in refrigerator for about 2 hours.
To make Carrot Vinaigrette:
1. Combine carrot juice, shallot, ginger, lemon juice and salt in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and cook until liquid boils down to about one-third of original amount. Cool.
2. Pour carrot reduction into a blender and, with the motor running, slowly pour in oil.
To make Shiso-Cucumber Salad:
1. Stir together vinegar, lemon juice, ginger, chile, onion and shiso. Let dressing sit for 30 minutes to mellow onion and meld flavors.
2. Slice cucumber in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds with a teaspoon, and cut in thin, half-moon-shaped slices. Toss cucumber with dressing.
To cook fish:
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Lift fish from marinade and place on baking sheet. Bake 12 to 14 minutes, or until a small amount of liquid collects at the bottom of the fillets and fish flakes easily when nudged with your finger.
1. Put small mounds of cucumber salad on each of 6 serving plates. Prop a fish fillet on each. Drizzle about a tablespoon of vinaigrette alongside fish. Sprinkle with thin strips of shiso.