This red curry soup, chock full with chicken, noodles and a rich, flavorful broth, makes a satisfying one-dish meal.
Photo By Leo Gong/Courtesy Celestial Arts
The following is an excerpt from "The Gluten-Free Asian Kitchen: Recipes for Noodles, Dumplings, Sauces, and More" by Laura B. Russell (Celestial Arts, 2011). The excerpt is from Chapter 5: Noodles.
Red Curry Soup with Chicken and Rice Noodles
8 ounces flat rice noodles
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut crosswise into thin slices and then into thin strips
2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons red curry paste (gluten-free), such as Thai Kitchen
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 (14-ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
2 cups store-bought (gluten-free) or home-made chicken broth
Cilantro leaves, for serving
Shredded cabbage, for serving
Lime wedges, for serving
Sriracha or other chili-garlic sauce (gluten-free), for serving
1. Cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling water until just done, about 5 minutes, or according to package directions. (Remove a noodle with tongs and taste it for doneness.) Drain the noodles in a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Set the noodles aside until ready to use. In a small bowl, toss the chicken with the fish sauce. Let stand while you prepare the soup.
2. In a pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic, curry paste, turmeric, and coriander and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Add the salt, coconut milk, and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, to infuse the flavors, 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Add the chicken and fish sauce to the simmering broth. Continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. To serve, divide the noodles among 4 bowls and ladle the soup over the noodles. Top with the cilantro, cabbage, a squeeze of lime juice, and hot sauce to taste.
Variation: Brew up a delicious seafood curry soup: Instead of the chicken, add a pound of medium raw shrimp, bay scallops, crab, or
a combination of these (tossed with the fish sauce) and simmer for 5 minutes. Serves 4
More Recipes from The Gluten-Free Kitchen:
• Spring Vegetable Fried Rice
• Braised Tofu in Mushroom Sauce
Reprinted with permission from "The Gluten-Free Asian Kitchen: Recipes for Noodles, Dumplings, Sauces, and More." Copyright © 2011 by Laura B. Russell, Celestial Arts, an imprint of Ten Speed Press and the Crown Publishing Group, Berkeley, CA.