A warm soup with garden ingredients will be a welcome treat next winter.
Photo By Povy Kendal Atchison
A warm soup with garden ingredients will be a welcome treat next winter. For more freezable tomato and basil recipes, read the original article, Endless Summer: 3 Recipes for Tomatoes and Basil to Freeze for Later.
Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe
• 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, coarsely grated
• 4 cups Roasted Tomato Sauce
• 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
• 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, cleaned and julienned
• 1 cup half-and-half
• 1 cup Freezer Pesto
1. Place freezer bag with tomato sauce in a pan of hot water to thaw.
2. When mostly liquid, put it and the stock in a saucepan and heat to boiling.
3. Stir in basil strips (reserving a handful for garnish) and bring soup back to a boil.
4. Add half-and-half and continue heating until soup reaches serving temperature.
5. Ladle soup into bowls and mound 2 tablespoons of pesto in the center. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan and julienned basil. Serves 4.