These phyllo triangles with poppy seed filling serve as an elegant, rich dessert
Makes 12 triangles
Serve these phyllo triangles with poppy seed filling as an elegant, rich dessert. For the best consistency, prepare the filling the night before, cover and refrigerate.
Poppy Seed Filling
• 1 cup poppy seeds
cup almonds, coarsely chopped
• 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
cup sour cream
• 1 egg
1. Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix.
• 6 large sheets whole wheat or white phyllo dough, thawed
• 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
cup sugar mixed with
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on your work surface, brush with melted butter, and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon sugar. Butter, sprinkle, and stack two more sheets on top of the first one. Cut the stack crosswise into six strips.
2. Place a heaping tablespoon of filling near one end of each strip. Fold the corner of the strip across the filling, and continue folding like a flag to form a triangle. Place the triangles on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining phyllo dough and filling.
3. Bake the triangles 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on a rack covered with paper towels.
Click here for the original article, Make A Poppy Seed Dessert.