Better living through nature
Cleaning stains and build-up in the bathroom or in the kitchen can leave sponges looking like they’ve been through a war zone. Sometimes your best efforts don’t even pay off, as streaks appear after your best scrubbing efforts. Ditch the sponge and the harsh chemical cleaners for this natural, tough cleaner that is gentle on your hands.
This recipe uses what’s is already in your kitchen cupboard. All it requires is everyday items such as liquid soap, lemons and baking soda.
Multipurpose Scrubbing Cleaner:
• 1 cup baking soda
• 1/8 cup liquid kitchen soap
• Half a lemon
• 20 drops of lavender essential oil (optional)
1. Mix the baking soda and the soap together—it should create a thick paste. If your mixture is too powdery, add more soap; if it is too soapy add a few pinches of baking soda.
2. Add 20 drops of lavender essential oil to the mixture. You can substitute any essential oil for lavender. Rosemary and rose also work. If you add essential oil, make sure your mixture maintains the thick paste texture.
3. Once you’ve combined the ingredients, apply the mixture to half of a lemon and scrub away. The citrus smell of the lemon leaves surfaces smelling great, but it is the lemon peal and texture that acts as a sponge and cleans almost any surface.
4. After you have applied the multipurpose mixture, run a damp cloth over any leftover residue.
For more information on cleaning your home naturally, visit our blog series Naturally Clean.