I’ve discovered my new favorite wedding favor (or any kind of party favor for that matter). It’s better than engraved photo frames, candles or bubbles; It’s thyme in a pot. I got it at the wedding reception I attended last weekend, which was very simple but elegantly decorated. Each table was adorned with centerpieces of fall foliage and colorful squash as well as evenly spaced plants in cute little pots. After I’d rushed to the buffet and had a chance to sit and look around, I realized that these weren’t just any plants – they were culinary herbs.
Photo by The Weddings Page/Courtesy Flickr
Because the herbs weren’t labeled, a focal point of the dinner conversation became enthusiastically tasting and guessing the herbs’ identity, and subsequently placing “dibs” on which herb you wanted to take home. Unfortunately, I guessed wrong quite a few times, (shows you what a good herbie I am) but I had so much fun playing that I didn’t mind.
Upon careful deliberation, I’ve discovered the true identity of my herb favor: French thyme (Thymus vulgaris). I’ve spent the past week thumbing through all the recipes with fresh thyme that I could find and experimenting with sprinkles of thyme in whatever I’m cooking each day. Here are a few of the favorite recipes I’ve found so far:
• Thyme and Thyme Again Dressing: Serve this dressing over leafy greens or with chicken or turkey salads.
• Pasta with Asparagus and Herbs: Cook this pasta al dente with an assortment of asparagus, mushrooms, garlic and dill.
• Vegetable Soup with Turkey-Thyme Meatballs: Try this hearty soup, which is loaded with fresh vegetables and punctuated with thyme-studded turkey meatballs.
• Braised Winter Vegetables with Thyme Leaves: Brussel sprouts, carrots and potatoes. Oh my!
If you’re planning an herbie wedding, check out these great articles for more herbal ideas…
• Herb Love: A Wedding Tradition
• Unique Wedding Ideas Around The Clock
Have you had any great ideas for herbal party favors or been to a party with herbal gifts or decor? Leave me a comment and let me know.