Better living through nature
Camille is a licensed aesthetician and operator of Autumn Moon Aesthetics. Her holistic skin care practice incorporates natural, handmade products, herbal therapy, aromatherapy and energetic bodywork. She encourages individuals to become more connected to their body and the Earth by creating natural products themselves at home. Visit her blog at www.skincareforyoursoul.blogspot.com.
Whenever my daughters and I go on adventures in the woods, we take along little bags with us to gather nature’s treasures along the way—sticks, bark, stones, feathers and moss. When we return, we use the treasures to decorate our home or save them for later to adorn houses for our local fairies.
Camille's treasure bag includes oatmeal, sea salt, cocoa and essential oils.
Photo by Camille Leinbach
These bags full of nature’s goodies inspired me to create these herbal “treasure” bags for our baths. The contents, like the outdoors, can change with the seasons or to address specific physical or emotional states.
1. Fill a small muslin drawstring bag (or cheesecloth) with your desired combination of dried or fresh herbs, oatmeal, sea salt, soap shavings, cocoa or shea butter, powdered milk, a few drops of essential oils, drizzles of honey or special stones and crystals or objects you would like to energetically infuse into your bath.
2. Secure the bag to your faucet, turn on warm water and let it flow through the contents, infusing them into the bath. Slip into the tub and lounge in the loveliness you have created!
The following would be a great mix for dry, itchy skin or eczema. Chamomile and calendula act as an anti-inflammatory while the oatmeal helps to soothe itchiness. The milk and shea butter help to moisturize skin.
Dry Skin Bath “Treasure” Bag Mix
For a relaxing bath bag, you might include lavender buds or lavender essential oil. Or, for an uplifting blend, you could try dried peppermint with a few drops of grapefruit or tangerine essential oil.
• 3 tablespoons oatmeal
• 2 tablespoons dried calendula
• 1 tablespoon dried chamomile
• 1 tablespoon powdered milk
• 1 teaspoon shea butter
• 5 drops Roman chamomile essential oil
Get creative, tune into the needs of your body and have fun! Please let me know what you put in your treasure bags!