The most popular medicine supplements today are fish oil, multivitamins, vitamin D, calcium and coenzyme Q10. According to ConsumerLab.com, the supplement vitamin D has increased immensely in popularity within the last couple of years. All five supplements could dramatically benefit your health.
But what are the health advantages of having these five supplements in your medicine cabinet?
Supplements like fish oil can have great health benefits.
Photo by scottpartee/Courtesy of Flickr
1. Fish Oil: Fish oil is an anti-inflammatory; its health benefits have been linked to cardiovascular disease, arthritis and cancer risk. Currently, the FDA does not have an official daily recommendation.
2. Multivitamins: Although multivitamin use has decreased since 2008, many people still rely on their daily doset. There is no harm in taking a multivitamin, but if you have a varied diet you might not even need to take a daily multivitamin.
3. Vitamin D: More women than men take vitamin D supplements. Vitamin D helps the body absorb calcium and can decrease risk for breast, colorectal, ovarian and other cancers. Research has shown that it helps with backaches, lowering diabetes risk and dealing with depression.
4. Calcium: Calcium is known for building strong bones and reducing the risk of osteoporosis, but did you know it may also keep your blood pressure in check? Additional research has suggested calcium helps with menstrual symptoms, weight loss and could help prevent colon cancer. (Eat more calcium-rich foods.)
5. Coenzyme Q10: This antioxidant is more likely to be used by men rather than women. It’s made naturally in the body, but research suggests supplements could improve energy production cells that keep your heart healthy. It can treat congestive heart failure and hypertension. (CoQ10 and heart health.)
Read more: The 5 Most Popular Supplements - Yahoo! Health