The sesame oil in this sun lip balm decreases the impact of burning rays by about 30 percent, which is around a SPF 7.
- 1/4 ounce beeswax
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 drops peppermint or spearmint essential oil, optional
- In a small pan, melt the beeswax in the oil; remove from the heat.
- Stir in the vanilla extract, and add the essential oil, if desired.
- Pour into small containers. (When using plastic containers, make sure the oil isn’t too hot or it might melt them.)
Kathi Keville is the author of eleven books, including Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art (Crossing Press, 1995) and Herbs for Health and Healing (Rodale, 1996). She teaches herb and aromatherapy seminars throughout the United States and is director of the American Herb Association (
Click here for the original article, Natural Sun Protection.