A gentle facial scrub can be used two or three times a week to smooth the skin by removing surface dead skin cells. Cosmetic clay helps absorb excess oil, and a combination of finely ground almonds and oats gently exfoliates skin. Oats also help soothe skin irritation, while eucalyptus and lavender essential oils combat bacteria.
- 2 cups uncooked rolled oats
- ½ cup raw almonds
- ½ cup white cosmetic clay
- 20 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
- Using a clean coffee grinder or food processor, grind oats and almonds in separate batches into a fine powder. Place ground oats and almonds in a small nonporous bowl, add cosmetic clay and combine. Add essential oils and mix thoroughly, using a metal spoon. Store facial scrub in a covered container in a cool, dry place.
- To use, mix 1 heaping teaspoon of facial scrub with warm water to make a paste. Dampen your skin with warm water, and gently massage the scrub onto your skin. Rinse well with warm water.
Laurel Vukovic writes and teaches about herbs from her home in southern Oregon. She is the author of 1,001 Natural Remedies (DK, 2003) and Herbal Healing Secrets for Women (Prentice Hall, 2000).
Click here for the original article, Herbal Acne Remedies.