Clay masks are especially well-suited for male complexions and help draw out oils and surface impurities from the skin. Sterilized clay can be found at many natural food stores in the health-care or bulk section. All clays have the same skin-clearing results but vary in color depending on what part of the world they come from and the minerals they contain.
• 2 tablespoons natural clay
• 1 to 2 teaspoons distilled water
• 1 teaspoon light oil, such as olive or almond (for dry skin types)
1. Mix together clay and water until you have a smooth paste.
2. To use: Spread the mixture on clean skin and leave on for 15 to 20 minutes, until dry. Rinse well with warm water followed by cool water and pat your skin dry.
Janice Cox is the author of Natural Beauty at Home (Henry Holt and Company , 2002). She and her daughter, Lauren Cox, co-authored a book, EcoBeauty (Ten Speed Press , 2009). Find them at www.herbcompanion.com/shopping.
Click here for the main article, Body & Soul: Make Men's Grooming Products.