Makes 4 ounces
To keep your hands looking and feeling their best, use this rich cream before and after you work outdoors. The dark sesame oil acts as a mild sunscreen (SPF about 6; if you burn easily, use a commercial sunscreen as well). The lavender is a traditional insect repellent. Keep a jar next to all of your sinks and outdoor faucets.
- 3 tablespoons grated beeswax
- ½ cup dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons spring water
- 2 to 3 drops lavender essential oil
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- Combine all ingredients in a heat-resistant container or double boiler. Gently heat (do not boil) the mixture in a microwave or on the stovetop over medium, stirring often, until wax and oils melt completely.
- Pour the mixture into a container or jar and allow it to cool. After it has cooled completely, give it a final stir before capping.
- To use, massage the cream into clean hands.
Janice Cox is the author of Natural Beauty from the Garden (Henry Holt and Company, 1999).
Click here for the original article,
Body & Soul: Garden Beauty Recipes.