A mixture of honey and herbal infused oil makes for a moisturizing treatment that will benefit your hair for weeks. To make the infusion, use burdock, marshmallow, nettle and parsley for dehydrated, lifeless hair; add rosemary and peppermint essential oils for hair follicle health and stimulation. To see the main article, read An Herbal Guide to Healthy Hair.
Infused Oil for Dry Hair
• 1 part dried herbs
• 2 parts vegetable oil, such as olive or almond oil
1. Stir the herbs into the oil (the 1:2 ratio is a general starting point; it’s best to use as much herbal material as possible).
2. Let the mixture steep for about two weeks; shake or stir daily.
3. Thoroughly strain the oil into a bottle with a lid and refrigerate until ready to use as a nourishing oil at bedtime, during a workout, or while working in the yard.
4. Simply work the oil in from the roots to the ends of the hair, or apply only to the ends if your scalp tends to be oily.
Melinda Minton is a licensed cosmetologist, herbalist, and esthetician. She is the owner of Vie Salon and Day Spas in Fort Collins, Colorado. Her articles have appeared in The Herb Companion, Herbs for Health’s sister publication.