Makes about 5 cups
The wonderful scent of this shampoo is designed to generate erotic desires and aid you in the arts of attraction. The herbs lend themselves to deep cleansing for hair that has been exposed to toxins. It’s also helpful for people with limp, oily hair. Sage, burdock, and southernwood have been traditionally used for centuries as hair growth aids. Yucca has been widely used in Mexico and in the Southwestern United States by various native peoples for cleaning and strengthening hair.
• 1 cup fresh or 1/2 cup dried yucca leaves and/or roots
• 1/2 cup dried, cut-and-sifted soap-bark tree
• 1 cup fresh or 1/2 cup dried soapwort leaves and/or roots
• 1 cup fresh or 1/3 cup dried burdock leaves
• 1 cup fresh or 1/3 cup dried southernwood leaves
• 1/3 cup fresh sage leaves or rubbed sage
• 4 cups spring water
• 1 cup oak moss (Evernia prunastri)
• 1/2 cup calamus root (Acorus calamus)
• 1/2 teaspoon sandalwood essential oil
• 1/2 teaspoon frankincense essential oil
• 1/2 teaspoon ylang ylang essential oil
• 1/4 teaspoon patchouli essential oil
• 3 tablespoons 100-proof vodka
1. Pulverize yucca, soap-bark tree, and soapwort (if using dried) in a food processor by pulsing for 90 seconds. (If you’re using fresh soapwort leaves, pulverize the yucca and soap-bark first, then add the soapwort leaves and pulse for 60 seconds.) If you don’t have a food processor, put yucca, soap-bark, and soapwort in a cloth bag and pound with a mallet until pulpy.
2. Heat the water in a large stockpot until boiling. Add the burdock, southernwood, and sage and return to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes; remove from heat and allow to cool. Pour into a sun-tea bottle or other clear plastic or glass container with a lid and set out under the light of a full moon. (If the weather is too cold, set the container in a moonlit window indoors.) Steep overnight. Strain this blended mixture through a fine sieve or cheesecloth over a bowl. Whisk in the oak moss and calamus root. Blend in a food processor or whisk by hand until smooth and creamy.
3. In a separate small bowl, mix the essential oils into the vodka. Add this mixture to the shampoo and thoroughly blend with food processor or whisk. Using a funnel, decant to empty shampoo bottles. Shake well before using. Packaged in antique bottles, Lunar Lather makes a wonderful Mother’s Day gift. Store at room temperature. Use within 1 month.For the original article, Body & Soul: Herbal Recipes for Homemade Organic Shampoo, click here.