Make your bouquet of flowers last longer with these simple tips and tricks.
• When cutting stems, use a sharp knife or scissors and cut while holding under cold water.
• Splice the ends of large stems to allow greatest water absorption.
• Add a spoonful of sugar plus a few drops of lemon juice to vase water to keep flowers fresh longer.
• Perk up wilted flowers by placing the stems in hot water for 20 minutes. Return to regular vase water.
• To dry flowers, combine 30 percent borax and 70 percent white cornmeal. Cover flowers entirely and leave for several weeks.
—Source: Haley's Hints Green Edition by Graham and Rosemary Haley