Makes 4 sachets
Most of the dirt that gets into our homes hitchhikes in on our shoes. Remove them at the door, and you might spend less time cleaning. But taking footwear off at our house exposes another problem: stinky sneakers.
To solve it, I’ve made sachets filled with absorbent clay kitty litter scented with an assortment of essential oils. I place a sachet in each sneaker and leave it there overnight. Below is the formula that my boys like; I prefer more lavender myself. You may reuse the sachets for as long as the scent lasts.
- 2 teaspoons essential oil of sandalwood
- 1 teaspoon essential oil of tea tree
- ½ teaspoon each essential oils of lemon and grapefruit
- ¼ teaspoon each essential oils of spruce and lavender
- 4 cups natural clay kitty litter
- Stir the oils into the kitty litter in a glass jar, cover, and let the mixture age for a week.
- Fill four clean socks with the sachet blend and close them with rubber bands.
Louise Gruenberg gardens as much as possible and cleans house as little as possible in Oak Park, Illinois. She writes and teaches about herbs.
Click here for more recipes from the original article, Spring Cleaning.