Makes 2 cups
This tea has a slight sweet-to-sour taste that warms the body. Tests in Japan show that hawthorn berries have positive cardiac effects, reducing blood pressure and the heart rate. It is also useful in the treatment of edema and dyspnea (shortness of breath). Lemon rind contains citrus flavonoids that improve varicose veins and are antihistaminic. Lime blossoms also have cardiac properties, reducing blood pressure and helping nervous disorders.
- 1 tablespoon dried hawthorn berries
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon dried lime blossoms
- 2 cups boiling water
- Place hawthorn berries, lemon zest and lime blossoms in a warmed ceramic or glass teapot.
- Add boiling water and let steep for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Strain and drink hot or cool. Drink 1 to 2 cups of the tea each day.
Story, recipes and photos (unless otherwise noted) excerpted with permission from Healthy Teas
by Tammy Safi, © Lansdowne Publishing, 2002, available in North America through Tuttle Publishing.
Click here for the original article, Spring to Life with Tea.