Salves are herbal ointments made by thickening oil infusions made with medicinal herbs. Use for skin irritations and other skin conditions. Salves will typically last about a year covered and kept in a cool, dark place.
Basic Skin-Healing Salve Recipe
• 3 ounces calendula- and chamomile-infused oil
• 1/2 ounce pure beeswax
• 15 drops lavender essential oil
• 3 (1-ounce) salve jars
1. Slowly heat infused oil in a saucepan to about 100 degrees.
2. Chop or grate the beeswax and gradually stir it into hot oil.
3. Once beeswax is melted, remove from heat and stir in essential oil.
4. Pour hot salve into 1-ounce jars and let cool. Cap jars and store at room temperature.
Find the 13 top herbs to have in your home apothecary: Read Herbal Medicine at Home: Be Your Own Herbalist.
Michelle Schoffro Cook is the best-selling author of 60 Seconds to Slim and Weekend Wonder Detox, as well as the upcoming book The Probiotic Miracle. Visit Dr. Michelle Cook's website and healthysurvivalist.com to learn more about her work.