Makes about 4 servings
Prepare this delicious herbal soup once a week to take advantage of the immune boosting properties of astragalus, shiitake and maitake.
- 1 ounce sliced dried astragalus root
- 1 piece (1 inch) fresh gingerroot, peeled and slivered
- ¼ cup basmati rice
- 8 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- ½ cup chopped onions
- ½ cup sliced carrots
- ½ cup sliced parsnips
- ½ cup chopped fresh shiitake mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped fresh maitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons light miso, or to taste
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- ¼ cup minced parsley
- Simmer astragalus, ginger, rice and stock in a covered pot for 1 hour. Sauté onions, carrots, parsnips, shiitake and maitake in olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add sautéed vegetable mixture to the soup pot, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove astragalus slices.
- Pour a little hot broth into a small bowl, and dilute miso in the broth. Add to the soup pot along with cilantro and parsley. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Laurel Vukovic writes and teaches about herbs and natural healing from her home in southern Oregon. She is the author of 14-Day Herbal Cleansing (Prentice Hall, 1998) and Herbal Healing Secrets for Women (Prentice Hall, 2000).
Click here for the original article, Discover the Fountain of Youth with Herbs.