AN HERBAL MORNINGSanta Cruz, California-based herbalist Jeanine Pollack created a light, tasty, protein-rich, energy-enhancing shake that’s perfect for a summer morning. Feel free to substitute soy yogurt for the regular if you’re trying to avoid dairy or want to add more soy to your diet.
HERBAL-A-GO-GO MORNING SHAKE
• 2 cups fresh orange or apple juice
• 1 cup apricot or strawberry yogurt
• 1 cup frozen mango or banana chunks
• One 1/3-oz. vial royal jelly
• 1 tablespoon fresh bee pollen
• 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
• 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend well at high speed until smooth.
Source: Pollack, Jeanine. Healing Tonics. Pownal, Vermont: Storey Books, 2000.
Click here to return to the main article, Herb Basics 101.