Most of the ingredients in this easy-to-make lotion can be found at your local natural-foods store.
Skin-Soothing Lavender Body Lotion
• 3/4 cup oil, such as sweet almond oil
• 2 tablespoons shaved beeswax (avoid using waxes made with petroleum products)
• 30 drops lavender essential oil
• 1 cup water
• One 16-ounce glass jar or two 8-ounce glass jars, for storing lotion
1. Add oil and beeswax to a small saucepan and heat over low heat until wax dissolves. Remove from heat immediately.
2. Allow to cool for 1 to 2 minutes. Add lavender essential oil. Set aside.
3. Pour water into a blender and begin blending on high speed with the lid on and the hole in it left open. With blender running, slowly add oil-wax mixture. It will begin to emulsify as you continue pouring in oil.
4. Pour lotion into glass jars. It will last about 6 months and is best kept at cool temperatures, or even in the refrigerator. Makes about 2 cups.
Interested in learning more about lavender? Read Growing Lavender: From Harvesting to Using.
Adapted with permission from the book Weekend Wonder Detox by Michelle Schoffro Cook, available at the Mother Earth Living store.