MAKES 1 CUP
There is something nurturing about the smell of food, even if you aren’t cooking or eating it. This gift welcomes family and friends with the aroma of herbs and spices such as cinnamon, clove, coriander, and cardamom.
• 4 cinnamon sticks, broken into quarters
• 1 tablespoon whole cloves
• 1/4 cup dried whole coriander seed
• 1/4 cup dried juniper berries
• 1/4 cup whole, dried cardamom pods
1. Mix or layer ingredients in a jar. 2. Pack the top tightly with cotton and cap. 3. Put a square of cloth over the top and secure with a rubber band or ribbon.
Or you can make individual simmering bundles as stocking stuffers; you could also make several of them and fill the jar with the bundles.
1. Put 2 tablespoons of spice mix into a 1-quart pot with 3 cups of water. 2. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes or until scent fades. 3. Add more water if necessary.
Read the original article: Homemade Herbal Gift Ideas.
Debbie Whittaker, a frequent contributor to The Herb Companion, demonstrates her healthy cooking style as the “Herb Gourmet” in Denver, Colorado.