This term from French classical cooking encompasses a great variety in combining herbs. Make your favorite combinations or try our suggestions tied up in small muslin bags or paper tea bags. These are available at gourmet or natural foods stores.
Provide simple recipes and directions with your gift so your friends can pop the spice bag in the pot and think of you gratefully over their savory dinner.
- Bay, marjoram and parsley meld well for flavoring minestrone, vegetable chowders, veal dishes and tomato sauces.
- Chervil, chives and parsley make a smooth and sprightly combination for adding to delicate sauces and butters for fish dishes or vegetables such as peas, carrots and potatoes.
- Chives, garlic, mint and parsley combine well for flavoring artichokes, peas, snow peas or potatoes.
- Sage, bay and parsley provide a tasty seasoning combination for pork, goose, duck or white bean and garbanzo bean soups.
- Combine approximately 1 tablespoon of each herb in a small bowl. If using bay, add individual leaves when filling the bags.
- Add ½ to 1 teaspoon of the mixture to each bag (1 bay leaf per bag). For friends who really love the spice of life, add a few peppercorns.
- Seal muslin bags with string or follow manufacturer’s instructions for sealing paper tea bags.
Click here for the original article, Homemade from the Heart.