Vegetable Soup with Barley
Amy Baugh-Meyer’s soup recipe is rich in antioxidants and contains fiber from the barley and multiple vegetables. You can substitute any of the vegetables with your favorites. This is a thick, hearty soup, great served with bread and a green salad for a simple dinner. If you prefer a thinner soup, add a little more water or vegetable stock.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions, any variety
- 2 cloves pressed garlic
- 1 cup cooked corn kernels
- 1 cup peeled and diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup chopped green cabbage
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 28-oz. can chopped tomatoes, with the juice
- 1/2 cup raw, pearled barley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium-sized soup pan or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for a few minutes.
- Mix in the corn, carrots, celery, potatoes, and cabbage, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, and barley. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer for about an hour, until the potatoes are tender and the barley is cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper, and serve hot.