Recipe by Rita Pentenrieder from Highland Lakes, New Jersey
SERVES 3 TO 4
This savory dish pleases twice: first with its aroma and then with its delicious taste.
• 1 1/2 cups raw brown rice, washed
• 4 cups canned tomatoes and liquid
• 1 medium onion
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 teaspoon dried basil
• 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, or to taste
• 1 pound fresh cubed salmon
• 1 cucumber, peeled and cubed
1. Simmer all the ingredients except the salmon and cucumber, covered, for 35 minutes.
2. Remove the bay leaf and onion and add the salmon and cucumber.
3. Cook for 10 minutes longer or until the salmon is opaque and the mixture is thick, not soupy.
4. Serve with warm buttered pumpernickel bagels and crisp celery sticks.