The mixture of vine-ripe tomatoes, fresh basil, and a hint of orange rind gives this combination a light, refreshing flavor. It can be served warm or cold with avocado, poultry, or pasta; it also makes a colorful garnish.
Makes 21/2 to 3 cups
- 6 ‘Roma’ or other paste tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 6 large basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup aged red wine vinegar
- Salt and white pepper to taste
1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well, then chill, covered, for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Laura Daily of Snowmass Village, Colorado, takes cooking lessons whenever she can. She enjoys grilling year round, even in the snow.
By Laura Daily