Rosy Mulled Cider
The concentration of rose essence in rose water varies with the brand. The quantity listed here is for Cortas, a brand found in most Middle Eastern and Indian grocery stores. Some French brands found in gourmet shops are more concentrated.
• 4 cups apple cider or juice
• 4 rooibos tea bags or 4 teaspoons loose rooibos leaves
• 4 teaspoons rose water (or to taste; see note above)
1. Heat all the ingredients together as in the Rooibos Tea recipe, substituting the cider for water.
2. Strain and discard the tea bags or leaves, then stir in the rose water to taste and serve hot.
Cornelia Carlson holds a doctorate in biochemistry and is an avid grower and user of herbs. She writes frequently for Herbs for Health and is the author of The Practically Meatless Gourmet (Berkley, 1996). She writes from her home in Tucson, Arizona.