Linda A. Wohlberg,
MAKES 1 QUART
Any variety of mint works well in this recipe, but fruit mints are especially nice.
• 1 cup frozen pink lemonade concentrate, partly thawed
• 3 cups skim or low-fat milk
• Leaves from 3 sprigs fresh lemon thyme
• 3 leaves fresh lemon verbena
• Leaves from 3 sprigs fresh mint
• 2 sprigs fresh fennel leaves
• 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped (or crystallized ginger)
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
• Dash salt (optional)
• 1 to 2 drops red food coloring (optional)
• Fresh berries for garnish (optional)
1. Combine the lemonade concentrate and milk. 2. Chop the herbs with the ginger until very fine and add to the lemonade mixture. Blend well in a mixer or blender. 3. Stir in the vanilla and optional salt and food coloring. 4. Chill the mixture for one hour, then pour it into an automatic ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s directions. Alternatively, you may freeze the mixture in shallow trays or ice cube trays, stirring occasionally to distribute the ingredients and ensure a smooth consistency. Serve with berries if desired.
Do you have a favorite previously unpublished recipe to share? Send it to “Kitchen Table”, c/o The Herb Companion, 201 East Fourth Street, Loveland, CO 80537-5655; fax (970) 669-6117 or e-mail HC@iwp.ccmail.compuserve.com. If we publish your recipe, you’ll receive a $50 check from The Herb Companion.