Curried Couscous and Chicken Almond Salad
Serves 4 to 6
- 11/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 11/2 cups regular or whole-wheat dry couscous
- 1 mango, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound white meat chicken or turkey strips
- 4 cups loosely packed chopped red cabbage
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds (* can toast if desired)
* To toast nuts, spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast in a 350 degree oven for 5 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Or, toast in a dry skillet over medium heat until golden brown.
Click here for the original article, Go Nuts For These Nutritional Superstars.
- In a large pan, combine chicken broth, butter, salt, curry powder and cumin. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add dry couscous. Stir well, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before adding to salad.
- Using a mixer or food processor, add all dressing ingredients and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add garlic and chicken or turkey strips and cook until lightly golden outside and no longer pink inside. Remove to a large serving bowl and add remaining salad ingredients. Add couscous and toss well. Add dressing and toss until thoroughly combined. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.\