Cashew Tofu Stir-Fry
Serves 6 to 8
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon peanut sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1 (14-ounce) package firm or extra-firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 cups sliced carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and cut into matchsticks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh gingerroot
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed and strings removed
- 1 bunch green onions, trimmed and sliced into 2-inch pieces
- Squeeze of fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup chopped roasted and salted cashews
- In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients and set aside. In a large skillet, heat sesame oil and peanut oil. Add tofu and stir-fry until golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove tofu to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat peanut oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add carrots and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add red pepper, garlic, red pepper flakes and gingerroot and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add broccoli and cauliflower, then stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add snap peas, green onions and squeeze of lime, and continue to stir-fry for 1 more minute.
- Reduce heat and add tofu and cashews. Restir the sauce mixture to blend and add it to the stir fry. Toss everything together until thoroughly mixed. Simmer, covered for 1 to 2 minutes or until sauce thickens. Transfer to a large platter and serve.
- This main dish salad is great served as is, or make it even more exciting by including a platter of tasty garnishes like sliced avocado, fresh chopped mango and cherry tomatoes.