Happy Saint Patrick’s Day! Have you caught a leprechaun? Are you wearing your green today? Have you found any four-leaved clovers? Start your Saint Patrick's Day celebration with a great video from Yankee Magazine. Learn how to make Irish Soda Bread, a staple of the Irish diet that dates back to the 1840s, with Yankee senior food editor, Annie Copps.
If you’re in the mood to make even more Saint Patrick's Day themed bread, try our Guinness-infused Herby Beer Bread from our May 2009 article “Many Mints.”
Howard Lee Puckett
• 3 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves
• 1 teaspoon dried lavender flowers
• 1 teaspoon dried mint leaves, crumbled
• 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
• 12 ounces dark beer
• 1 teaspoon rolled oats, sunflower seeds or sesame seeds
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, herbs and cheddar in a mixing bowl.
2. Stir in beer and mix until combined.
3. Spread in a greased 8-inch loaf pan; top with rolled oats, raw sunflower seeds or sesame seeds.
4. Bake until golden-brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.