All about fresh, flavorful food
Asparagus is one of the first crops of spring. Paired with rich-tasting vegan hollandaise sauce, it makes the perfect vegetable side dish for any special meal! My grandmother grew asparagus in her backyard, and she often served it with a rich hollandaise sauce that I loved, as a child! So, I came up with this easy-to-prepare vegan version that tastes delicious and is low in fat, too!
Asparagus with Vegan Hollandaise Sauce
Makes 4 to 6 servings
• 1 large bunch asparagus, trimmed
• 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 8 ounces soft regular tofu, drained
• 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1. Fit a steamer basket into a medium sauce pan with a tight-fitting lid. Add 2 inches of cold water, then add asparagus. Cover, and bring to a boil. Steam the asparagus for 4 to 6 minutes or just until crisp-tender.
2. Meanwhile, put the lemon juice, tofu, turmeric, and salt in a blender and process until smooth. Transfer to a small sauce pan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until heated through.
3. Arrange the hot asparagus on a serving platter and pour the sauce over top. Serve immediately.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio.