All about fresh, flavorful food
Needing only fifteen minutes to prep, with only seven ingredients to assemble, this soup is an excellent candidate for a nutritious lunch or informal supper. As the red lentils cook, they break down to magically thicken the broth. Before you know it, you have a hearty delicious soup ready to serve.
Quick Red Lentil Curry Soup Recipe
Makes 4 servings
• 32 ounces vegetable broth
• 2 cups peeled and diced red or white potatoes
• 1-1/2 cups sliced carrots
• 1 cup red lentils, sorted and thoroughly rinsed (see note)
• 8 ounces cremini or white button mushrooms, diced
• 1/2 cup filtered or spring water, plus more as needed
• 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
1. Put all of the ingredients in a medium-sized soup pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, decrease the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 45 to 50 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the lentils are soft. Add more water, as needed, if the soup becomes too thick as it cooks. Serve piping hot.
Chef’s Note: To sort the lentils, spread them out in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Remove any stones, dirt, broken lentils, or other debris. The lentils are now ready to be rinsed and used in your recipe. You may also sort split peas or dried beans in this manner.
Amount per serving, based on 4 servings: 196 Calories; 2g Fat; 0g Saturated fat; 10g Protein; 175mg Sodium; 37g Total Carbohydrate; 7g Sugars; 10g Fiber
Recipe from Laura Theodore's Vegan-Ease, © 2015 Laura Theodore, reprinted by permission.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio. Visit Laura on Facebook and follow her on Twitter for daily recipes and tips for serving delicious, plant-based meals.