All about fresh, flavorful food
This delicate yet rich-tasting cake makes the perfect dessert for your festive holiday table or any winter event. Creamy, smooth and oh-so-pumpkiny, this pie will surely become a tradition, year after year!
Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Recipe
Makes 8 to 10 servings
• 1-3/4 cups cookie crumbs (ginger cookies work well)
• 1/4 cup vegan margarine, melted
• 2 tablespoons rolled oats
• 14 to 16 ounces firm regular tofu
• 1 can (about 16 ounces) unsweetened pumpkin purée
• 2⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon allspice
• 3 tablespoons cookie crumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally coat a 10-inch round springform pan with vegan margarine.
2. To make the crust, put 1-3⁄4 cups cookie crumbs and the melted margarine in a medium-sized bowl and mix with a fork until well combined. Pat the crumbs firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake the crust for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool 5 minutes.
3. To make the filling, put the rolled oats in a blender and process into coarse crumbs. Add the tofu, pumpkin purée, brown sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon and allspice and process until smooth and creamy.
4. Pour the filling into the crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Remove the cake from the oven and place it on a wire rack. Cool for 15 minutes, then carefully run a table knife around the perimeter of the cake to ensure it does not stick to the side of the pan.
5. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of cookie crumbs evenly over the top of the cake, gently pressing them into the top, so the crumbs adhere. Release the side of the springform pan to unmold.
6. Cover the cake very loosely and refrigerate 3 to 24 hours before serving. Covered tightly and stored in the refrigerator, leftover cheesecake will keep for about 2 days.
Amount per serving, based on 10 servings: 154 Calories; 7g Fat; 1g Saturated fat; 5g Protein; 62mg Sodium; 20g Total Carbohydrate; 15g Sugars; 2g Fiber
Recipe taken from Laura Theodore’s Vegan-Ease. Reproduced by kind permission of Laura Theodore.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio. Visit Laura on Facebook and follow her on Twitter for daily recipes and tips for serving delicious, plant-based meals.