All about fresh, flavorful food
If there were a jazzy recipe that gets the “most popular dessert award” award, it would be this quick-to-prepare, rich and creamy confection. When I have little time to prep a dessert, but want to really WOW my guests, I make this delicious pudding.
This delicate, rich dessert is based on a recipe my grandma often made. When I was a child it was my favorite dessert, but it was packed with eggs and heavy cream. Here’s a fail-safe vegan version that faithfully reproduces the taste of Grandma’s specialty. Served in tiny espresso cups, it provides an elegant ending to any fancy meal. Plus, you can make it the day before serving if you wish—always a bonus when entertaining.
Pots de Crème Recipe
Makes 6 servings
• 3⁄4 cup vanilla nondairy milk
• 12 ounces soft regular or silken tofu, drained and cubed
• 2 teaspoons brown sugar
• 1 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
1. Heat the nondairy milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until steaming hot but not boiling.
2. Put the tofu and brown sugar in a blender, then add the chocolate chips. Pour in the nondairy milk and process until completely smooth.
3. Spoon the mixture into tiny dessert bowls or espresso cups and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours. Serve chilled.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio.