All about fresh, flavorful food
These tempting taco bowls make the perfect hearty lunch or light supper. Quick to make, crisp, baked tortillas serve as the base, while the creamy, flavorful avocado and leafy green filling creates a true “one-dish” meal or generous first-course appetizer. Great for company, too!
Guacamole Taco Salad Bowls Recipe
Makes 4 servings
• 4 8- to 10-inch whole-grain tortillas (spicy variety works well)
• 2 large ripe avocados
• 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus more as needed
• 1/16 to 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
• 1 medium tomato, diced
• 1/2 medium sweet onion, diced
• 2-1/2 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro, for garnish (optional)
• Zest of one lemon, for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a medium, rimmed baking pan with unbleached parchment paper.
2. Arrange four small oven-safe bowls upside down on the prepared pan. Drape a tortilla over the bottom of each bowl, arranging it in the shape of an upside-down “bowl.” Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the tortillas are crisp and almost firm to the touch, checking them often so they do not burn. Carefully transfer the pan with the bowls on it to a wire rack and let cool at least 5 minutes before serving (see note).
3. Meanwhile, to prepare the guacamole, peel, pit and rough chop the avocados. Put the chopped avocados, lemon juice, chili powder, turmeric, smoked paprika, sea salt and cayenne pepper (optional) in a medium-sized bowl and mash with a potato masher or large fork until combined. Gently fold in the tomatoes and onion.
4. To assemble the salads, carefully remove each cooled taco “bowl” and place it in the center of a medium-sized salad plate. Place one-quarter of the sliced romaine in the bottom of each taco “bowl.” Top with one-quarter of the guacamole mixture. Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley or cilantro, and lemon zest (optional). Serve immediately.
Chef’s Note: Taco bowls may be prepared up to 6 hours before serving. After cooling, keep loosely covered until you are ready to assemble the salads.
Amount per serving, based on 4 servings: 229 Calories; 14g Fat; 3g Saturated fat; 5g Protein; 253mg Sodium; 27g Total Carbohydrate; 6g Sugars; 7g Fiber
Recipe from Laura Theodore's Vegan-Ease, © 2015 Laura Theodore, reprinted by permission.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio. Visit Laura on Facebook and follow her on Twitter for daily recipes and tips for serving delicious, plant-based meals.