All about fresh, flavorful food
Scottish oatcakes, delicious and crispy crackers that taste wonderful with jam, have been a staple since the 14th century. If you’re looking for a gluten-free take on this traditional treat, check out the following recipe courtesy Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods, a distinctive stone grinding miller of whole grains.
The amount of sugar in this recipe is minimal so that the cakes can be used in both sweet and savory applications. If you want a sweeter oatcake, increase the amount of sugar to 1 tablespoon. Alternatively, omit the sugar completely for a truly savory concoction. Check back next week for another great recipe from Bob’s Red Mill.
Gluten-Free Scottish Oatcakes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
• 1 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Scottish Oatmeal
• 6 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill Sorghum Flour
• 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
• 3/4 teaspoons Bob’s Red Mill Evaporated Cane Sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon butter, melted
• 1/2 cup hot water
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Scottish Oatmeal in a bowl with Bob’s Red Mill Sorghum Flour, tapioca starch, Bob’s Red Mill Evaporated Cane Sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir until combined.
3. Add butter and stir until evenly distributed. With a fork, mix in water just until moistened; let sit for 5 minutes.
4. Gather dough into a ball and flatten slightly. Place dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Roll dough out to 1/4-inch thickness. With a 2- to 3-inch round cutter, cut dough into rounds. Re-roll and cut scraps. Place oatcakes about 1/4-inch apart on the prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake until Scottish Oatcakes are golden, about 25 minutes. Let cool on a rack. Enjoy plain, serve with jam or cheese, or use to build hors d’oeuvres. Serves 12 to 16.
Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods offers a diverse line of more than 400 all-natural, organic and gluten-free flours, cereals, meals and mixes for pancakes, breads and soups that are available all around the world.