All about fresh, flavorful food
This pie is quick to prepare, gorgeous to look at, delicious to eat and a delight to serve! It’s the perfect pie to offer for any festive occasion or elegant dinner party. Bonus: The filling takes a mere five minutes to prepare and the crust comes together in a flash! Your family and guests will think you slaved for hours creating this luscious and beautiful dessert! (So it can be our little secret that it was super easy to make)!
Ginger Chocolate Mousse Pie
Makes 8 servings
• 2-1/2 to 3 cups broken vegan ginger cookies (enough to make 1-3/4 cups crumbs)
• 1/2 cup vegan margarine, melted
• 3/4 cup vanilla-flavored nondairy milk
• 14 to 16 ounces soft regular or silken tofu, drained and broken up
• 2 bars (3.5 ounces each) vegan dark chocolate (snack bars, not unsweetened baking chocolate), finely chopped
• 1/2 vegan dark chocolate bar, cut into curls (see note)
• 10 to 15 raspberries (frozen raspberries work well for this)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Put the cookies in a blender and process into coarse crumbs. Put 1-3/4 cups of the crumbs in a medium bowl. Add the melted vegan margarine and stir to combine. Press the crust into an ungreased 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 10 minutes. Put the plate on a wire rack to cool.
2. Meanwhile, heat the nondairy milk in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat until steaming hot but not boiling. Put the tofu in a blender and then add the vegan chocolate pieces. Pour in the hot nondairy milk and process until completely smooth, about 1 minute. Pour the mousse into the prepared pie crust and smooth the top with a soft spatula.
3. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until set. To serve, garnish with chocolate curls and raspberries, if desired.
To make chocolate curls, slice a vegan chocolate candy bar into small “curls” using a carrot peeler.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio.