Autumn Apple PieMakes 8 servings
Nothing says fall like warm apple pie. The dried fruit and almonds included in Sun-Maid’s Autumn Apple Pie recipe adds a new fiber- and antioxidant-rich twist on this traditional treat. Incorporating dried apricots, golden raisins and tart cherries among the apples gives this pie a sweet bite while the familiar spices of cinnamon and nutmeg enhance the natural fruit flavors.
1 9-inch unbaked pie crust
3/4 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 large apples (Fuji or Golden Delicious), cored, quartered, thinly sliced (1/8-inch thick)
1/2 cup Sun-Maid Dried Halves or Mediterranean Apricots chopped
1/2 cup Sun-Maid Golden Raisins
1/4 cup Sun-Maid Tart Cherries
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
whipped cream, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Process almonds and 1/2 cup granulated sugar in food processor until finely ground. Add butter, eggs and flour. Process until smooth.
3. Combine apples, apricots, golden raisins, cherries, cinnamon and nutmeg.
4. Arrange fruit in pie crust, placing apples as flat as possible. Spread almond mixture evenly over fruit.
5. Sprinkle top with 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until top is golden brown and center feels set.
6. Cool at least 30 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or room temperature with whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate leftovers.