All about fresh, flavorful food
Supper is on the table in less than thirty minutes with this tantalizing pasta recipe. Pair it with a crisp green salad and crusty bread and you have a meal for a king in a flash!
Easy Broccoli Penne Recipe with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Makes 4 servings
• 1 pound whole-grain penne or other pasta
• 1 large bunch broccoli, cut into bite-size florets
• 1 jar (8 ounces) oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
• 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 12 large leaves fresh basil, very thinly sliced, or 2 teaspoons dried
• 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1⁄4 cup toasted wheat germ
• Sea salt
• Freshly ground pepper
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the penne. Decrease the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the penne is almost tender. Add the broccoli and cook, stirring occasionally, until the penne is tender but firm and the broccoli is crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, put the sun-dried tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of the oil, and the basil and garlic powder in a bowl large enough to also accommodate the penne and broccoli and stir until well combined.
3. Drain the penne and broccoli well and, while they are still piping hot, pour them over the tomato mixture. Add the wheat germ and toss gently until thoroughly combined. Add more oil as desired, season with salt and pepper to taste, and toss again. Serve immediately.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio.