All about fresh, flavorful food
Cookies, cookies, cookies! I love cookies, but making them dairy-free, egg-free, low-fat and delicious can be challenging. Chewy and delicious, this healthy version of the American classic cookie is sure to please kids of all ages!
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 16 to 18 giant cookies
• 2 cups whole-wheat flour
• 1 cup dark brown sugar, sucanat or maple sugar
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
• 1 cup pecans, rough chopped
• 1 cup vegan chocolate chips (I like Pascha Chocolate 55% or 85% chocolate chips)
• 1-1/2 cups fresh apple puree (see note)
• 1/3 cup, plus 2 tablespoons soy milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
2. Put the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and stir with a dry whisk to combine. Add the pecans and vegan chocolate chips, and stir with the whisk to combine. Stir in the apple purée, vanilla extract, and nondairy milk, and mix just until incorporated. If the dough seems overly wet, stir in a bit more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time. Alternately, if the dough seems overly dry, stir in a bit more nondairy milk, 1 tablespoon at a time.
3. For each cookie, drop about 2-1/2 tablespoons of the dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Flatten slightly using the back of a flat spatula. Bake 15 to 18 minutes, or until slightly golden around the edges.
4. Remove the sheet from the oven and let cool for 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack. Cool for about 10 minutes. Stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, the cookies will keep for about 2 days.
Note: To make the apple purée, peel and core 3 very large or 4 medium apples. Rough chop the apples. Put the apples in a blender and process until the consistency of smooth applesauce is achieved. Be careful not to liquefy!
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio.